Ocracoke Museum part of the Historic Albemarle Tour

Filed under: Attractions,Museums |

Ocracoke Museum part of the Historic Albemarle Tour

Ocracoke Museum - Historic Albemarle Tour

Ocracoke Preservation Society was formed in 1983. The society’s purpose is to encourage the preservation of Ocracoke’s heritage. OPS offices and the OPS Museum are in the David Williams house, which was moved to its present location in 1989.

David Williams House Museum

The David Williams House is a substantial foursquare with deep hip roof, interior chimneys, asbestos siding, sawnwork eave brackets and hipped front porch with original boxed posts with sawnwork spandrels, two-over-two sash, one-story rear ell with recessed porch and central hall floor plan.

In order to save it, the Ocracoke Preservation Society moved this house in 1989 to its present location on land owned by the National Park Service from its nearby original location just north of the Anchorage Inn, facing the harbor.

The original site had been bought by the Anchorage Inn and the house was endangered. It is believed to have been built by David Williams (1858-1938) who served in the Coast Guard. Williams purchased the original tract from William H. Wahab for $10 in 1890 (DB 19, 497). He was married to Alice Wahab (1865-1953), sister of James Hatton Wahab.

Ocracoke Society Preservation part of the Historic Albemarle Tour

Ocracoke Preservation Society
Come visit us at the Museum located in the heart of the village across from the 
Cedar Island ferry docks just off Highway 12.
Phone: (252) 928-7375
P.O. Box 1240
Ocracoke, NC 27960
 

Visit us Online: Ocracoke Preservation Society  
– Part of the Historic Albemarle Tour
 
 
 
 
Share this:
Share this page via Email Share this page via Stumble Upon Share this page via Digg this Share this page via Facebook Share this page via Twitter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *